Thursday, July 29, 2010

Zoo Brew


I typically wait until the last possible minute to pay my bills, I never fill up my gas tank until the light comes one, and yes, I typically turned in my homework late in college. With all of that being true it should be no surprise that I waited until the last of the weekly “Zoo Brew” events at the Blank Park Zoo to check it out.

Sometimes procrastination just bites you in the ass. I was expecting zoo BREW, but instead the final zoo brew was wine night. Four local wineries were present for the event and all were more than happy to give out a few free samples and explain a little bit for people like me who know barely anything about wine. So even if I completely missed the boat on getting to a zoo brew that featured samples of beers like Blue Moon, Fat Tire, Leinenkugels, or a few local beers, I still had fun. It also didn’t hurt that they had a cash bar for beer lovers like myself. Nothing better to wash down a nice dry red than a tall boy of Miller Lite! *cough*

Even if I was disappointed to have missed out on a night with beer samples it was still a great night. I can’t think of very many promotional events than getting 500 20-somethings together for some booze at the zoo! The best part is that I’ve only even gone to the zoo in the middle of the day. Most exotic animals are from extremely hot areas, it doesn’t take a seventh-grade science student to know that animals tend to sleep when it’s hot. Since zoo brew was still up and running around dusk all of the animals, including the big cats, were finally getting up and moving. I even saw one of the red pandas yawn!

I also hadn’t been to the zoo for quite a few years, it was great to have a chance to walk around without any little kids running all over the place, screaming, and feeding the goats when I want to! There is one serious downside of mixing booze and the zoo though. I saw one guy jump over a fence by the giraffe enclosure to go after the free koozie he got on the way in the door. I guess it’s a good thing that the camel rides weren’t open!

Zoo Brew was an excellent event and I’m sure that the zoo made a decent amount of money from it throughout the summer. So kudos to the Blank Park Zoo for putting it on and thanks for giving me something to do in Des Moines on a weeknight!

No…really! DES MOINES….ON A WEEKNIGHT!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an excellent idea. Though, Blank Park Zoo? I thought you were just leaving the name out, but it's actually the name...I feel like they have problems with that occasionally.

    ReplyDelete