Saturday, July 3, 2010

Beer Savers


I own a slap-chop.

That alone should tell you how I feel about silly gadgets which are almost worthless, I’m a big fan. Usually they’re great but I think I’ve found something that goes too far. A little silicon cap for your beer bottle called a Beer Saver. They’re advertised on the Beer Saver website as a tool to keep your beer fresh and safe. If you can’t drink your beer before it loses its freshness then you really probably shouldn’t be drinking beer.

When I read about this product I was reminded of a time in college when I had spent the entire hot afternoon working outside in the Texas heat. I came home and went to the fridge to grab my very last beer. I grabbed the nicely chilled bottle and flopped down on the couch to enjoy some TV and relaxation. When I cracked the beer open there was no pleasant release of carbon dioxide; instead it was just a light fizzle. Upon further inspection I realized that my beer, my last beer, was only half full. My “friend” that was over the night before, a notorious lightweight, drank half of a beer, recapped it, and put it back in my fridge. I suppose if I had a set of beer savers for him to use I would have immediately known to just go punch Joel instead of getting my hopes up.

One of the other self-proclaimed attributes of the beer saver caps is that the use of one “Helps keep your beer safely identified when in clubs, bars and restaurants.” Like with many products, there is a big difference between in-home use and using one in public. If you’re using a beer saver at home it probably wouldn’t be a big deal, but if I was hanging out in a bar and someone pulled a bright yellow silicon cap from their pocket to cap their beer my immediate response would be to turn away and immediately end the conversation.

The one redeeming value of the beer saver is the fact that they’ve slashed the price from $19.99 to $6.99. That seems like a reasonable price, but the original price sets them at over three dollars per cap, that’s asinine.

If you’re interested then go ahead and get a six-pack of beer savers. When it turns out that I’m wrong feel free to let me know just how great they are or how much you love to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment