Saturday, July 10, 2010

Robots Are Neat


I’ve seen a lot of cool videos of robots doing things in the past. In fact, I’ve even seen a few other robots that get beer from a fridge, and then deliver it to you. This one beats it all though!

The people at Willow Garage have developed a program Beer Me Robot for the PR2 (Personal Robot 2) as a part of the hackathon competition. For the hackathon a team starts Monday morning and has a workable program for a robot by Friday afternoon. Click the link, watch the video and prepare to be amazed by this incredible robot!

I tried to check out what all this robot can do but a lot of the things I could find were WAY over my

Image Source

head. I was mostly just concerned with the “Beer Me” program put together by Willow Garage. You open the program on your computer, enter what kind of beer you want, and then it will go get it and deliver it to you.

If that wasn’t cool enough by itself it will also send you a message if your beer of choice isn’t in the fridge, and it knows how to use a bottle opener once it brings you your beer.

Most people think of the future and it involves flying cars, disease cures, and Marty McFly. When I think of the future, it is a robot that brings me a beer! Now if only I could get a Tinchilla and teach a robot how to use THAT too…

No comments:

Post a Comment