Monday, July 12, 2010

Breakfast Beer Anyone?


Today in my daily Googleing (verb?) I stumbled upon an article from the Phoenix New Times with a list of ten beers they suggest for breakfast. Most people have eaten their brunch with a mimosa, screwdriver, or bloody mary, but when I think breakfast beer I think of a still drunk frat boy waking up on the couch and grabbing one more to “keep the party going” at noon when he finally opens his eyes.

I’ll readily (albeit not necessarily proudly) admit that I’ve had a few breakfast

Image Source

beers myself but it was always the day of a big college football game that kicked off at noon. If you don’t tailgate early you don’t get to at all. I think we all know that just isn’t acceptable! After reading this article I really wish that I would have put some thought into what I was imbibing in instead of cringing and downing a Bud Light at 7:30 in the morning so we could get started (don’t judge, sometimes that’s just what college is).

The list of suggested beers in the Phoenix New Times article is dominated obscure beers, mostly stouts, that I haven’t had the chance to try. I’ve had the Kona Pipeline Porter (#6 on the list) and wasn’t a fan. It had a bit too strong of a coffee flavor for me. Now I’m rethinking my judgment as something I might have made prematurely, I just need to try it with some eggs and bacon!

The only other two beers on the list that I’ve tried are numbers seven and eight, Dogfish’s Black and Blue (blueberry beer) and Left Hand Brewery’s Juju Ginger Ale. As a disclaimer, I have somewhere between very little and no appreciation for fruit beer or ginger beer. I don’t mind beer with a flavor of fruit or ginger, but just about every single beer with blueberries, strawberries, cherries, etc goes overboard with the fruit flavor and the end result is terrible. So no, I didn’t really like the Black and Blue and I thought the Juju Ginger was just okay.

The surprising thing is that for the first time in my life as I was reading the descriptions on the New Times’ website I thought, “Sure, I didn’t like that beer, but it sounds great with some French toast as I roll out of bed!”

I work weekday mornings and go to church on Sundays so if I want to try out a few of these breakfast suggestions I guess I need to get to it on a Saturday.

The only real problem I have with the list is that the final item, number ten, calls bacon beer a fantasy. Despite the fact that I don’t think it would taste particularly good, I would love the chance to try some bacon brew and I know it is currently being produced by Brooklyn Brewery brewmaster Garrett Oliver. I don’t know how to get any, but I want some!

No comments:

Post a Comment