Thursday, September 2, 2010

Guinness: Good Things Come To Those Who Wait


I’m a blogger. As far as I know that means I’m supposed to work on sketchy/limited sources, anonymously attack anything or anyone, and of course, use subpar grammar. At least…I think that’s what it means to be a blogger.

Okay, so maybe I try to avoid that stuff (except the grammar thing), but it’s still in there. Newspapers check their sources. They have their journalist’s names out there for anyone to see. Oh, and the grammar is usually stellar. I’ve got a lot of respect for newspaper writers and that is one of the reasons that when I see a good newspaper article about beer, I’ll usually toss up a link to it.

Image Source

That’s the plan for today thanks to an excellent article written by Lauren Marmaduke (I think it sounds like a fake name too) of the Houston Press about Guinness’ “Good Things Come to Those Who Wait” advertising campaign that aired from 1998-2007.

The name of the campaign alludes to the fact that you’re supposed to let your Guinness sit for about 120 seconds after pouring before you take your first sip. That was something I hadn’t known before going to the Guinness Brewery in Dublin. Once I was educated by a bartender in their tasting room, Guinness became a new beer to me. If you’re not waiting to drink your Guinness, you really are missing out. And no, this isn’t just me being an elitist, beer snob prick, it makes a big difference. Hence the advertising campaign.

The article is a good one with interesting information about all five of the embedded videos. Also, notice that each video is about the amount of time you’re supposed to let your Guinness rest before drinking. However, if you don’t feel like spending seven minutes watching Guinness ads (even though they’re awesome) then be sure to watch the second, The Surfer, all of the way through. It was voted by the Sunday Times in Great Britain as the greatest ad of all time. That’s some pretty high praise!

Okay, here is the link. Go. Watch. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link! My GOODNESS, [my] Guinness consistently has good advertising.

    ReplyDelete