Friday, August 13, 2010

Beer Pops


Today, we have beer popsicles. They’re made by the Mexican restaurant Diablo Royale Este saloon in New York City. What they do is take a can of beer, inject some simple syrup and lime juice, put a stick in it, and leave it to freeze for four days. Once frozen they remove it from the freezer and cut it open with a serrated knife. I’ve also seen written a few places, but not enough to really confirm it, that they sometimes use a samurai sword to open the cans.

I’m obscenely curious to try it out, but it’s Tacate. There aren’t many Mexican beers I’m a fan of, and

Image Source

there are even fewer that I genuinely like (Des Equis Amber). Tacate, does not fall into those ranks. In fact, not even close. The best thing I can say about Tacate is that it tastes like beer, but with more water.

When I tried (and tried, and tried) making beer ice cream I used a great local microbrewed stout. So I’m wary of going to a store and buying a six pack of Tacate to try this one out. Hell, I might be embarrassed to just walk into a store and buy a six of Tacate. I guess I have to though, I just wish I had a recipe to work from when I try this one out. Trial and error seems to have been working well for me, so hopefully it pulls through again this time. I’m just concerned about figuring out the right mix but not realizing it because Tacate still tastes like Tacate. Maybe I’ll try it with a different kind of beer. I’ll keep you updated.

Also, tomorrow is the second annual Iowa homebrewer's fest down at Beer Crazy in Urbandale, IA. I'll be heading down with a few local friends and put up a post afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. I once walked into a Hy Vee and bought a six pack of Hoegaarden and whey protein.

    Yes, yes this was when I was in the frat.

    ReplyDelete