Monday, November 29, 2010

Mint Chocolate Porter

Now that I’m back from my trip out of town for Thanksgiving I’m happy to be able to start posting again!

One of the great things about Thanksgiving is all of the old friends and acquaintances that come back into town for the weekend. I caught up with all kinds of people I hadn’t seen since high school. That meant that while they described their bank jobs, positions at insurance companies, or careers in the exciting field of human resources I got to talk about driving around the country drinking beer with the brewmasters who make it.

Needless to say, I’m still happy about my decision to write a book about beer!

I don’t know about you but when I’m around old friends we tend to scheme. A couple of people tried to talk to me about the possibility of someday opening a brewery. I had to explain that more than anything else you need two things to open a brewery. Money, and talent as a brewer. I have neither. Although I still have little to no desire to open a brewery I’m still working on my talent as a brewer.

One specific friend of mine, Connor Krause, wants to start brewing and has some unique ideas to try out. We batted a few things around and finally landed on the decision to make a mint chocolate porter. Assuming it comes out well I think it will be the perfect drink for a cold winter evening, especially around the holidays. Connor lives about forty five minutes north of me but we’re trying to figure out a time that works out well for both of us to brew.

I’ll keep you updated on the process as it comes along. Also, the Bavarian hefeweizen turned out very well. It feels strange to drink a hefe in the winter but beer is beer and I’m still proud I managed to brew a decent one regardless of style.

1 comment: