Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thirteenth Stop – Trailhead Brewing

I’m going to start doing a series of short articles about the brewpubs I visited in Saint Louis. Although wonderful, I made it to four of them and thought you all might get a little tired of hearing about just one city. So instead I’m condensing each down to a short entry. No fears though, I’ll still have a full entry on my incredible trips to Schlafly’s Bottleworks and Taproom as well as the behemoth Anheuser-Busch facility.

Now, Trailhead Brewing Company in Saint Charles, MO.

Trailhead is a brewpub in a historic area of a historic town. The neighborhood is full of little shops and bars that all fit in perfectly to the late nineteenth century vibe I was getting. Trailhead is no exception. Sporting everything from a beautiful brick exterior complete with water wheel to a 12,000 square foot interior Trailhead’s building’s history provides an excellent air of history while you eat but doesn’t cram you in like many historic buildings are forced to.

I walked in with my wonderful Saint Louis hosts Mark and Danielle who had suggested we eat dinner there. The server was young and didn’t know too much about beer but still did his best. We ordered the spicy chicken wings as appetizers and I got a sausage platter for dinner. Wings, knockwurst, weisswurst, bratwurst, sauerkraut, and potato salad. These are some of my favorite “beer foods” and none of them disappointed. The kraut wasn’t excellent, but all of the sausages were which more than made up for it.

The beer was nothing to write home about, but it certainly wasn’t bad either. I’m usually not a fan of fruit beers but their Riverboat Raspberry went well with the spicy wings. I wouldn’t have ordered it but it came with my beer sampler. The easy highlight of the sampler was the seasonal pumpkin spice ale. I was a big fan of the big flavor that had just enough nutmeg and cinnamon to balance it out.

Despite being a little pricey Trailhead is absolutely worth the trip to Saint Charles.

Up next will be a post about my incredible trip to Schlafly.

No comments:

Post a Comment